Cave Access Limited


News update

About CAL

Sites managed by CAL

Visiting CAL sites



Visiting CAL Sites

Access to CAL sites is freely available to all cavers and mine explorers with BCA insurance (either as a Direct ior Club Insured Member). In addition, members of foreign clubs who belong to the national representative body (the equivilent of the BCA) are also permitted access but will have to obtain BCA insurance.

Before accessing sites, vistors should register with CAL. This just involves sending your name, your BCA number and club name (if any) to CAL via the email below. CAL will send a permit which will last till the end of the year and will need to renewed on a yearly basis.

CAL is required to keep an accurate record of visitors to the sites in the agreement. In particular the following details need to be logged:

  • Name of the site
  • Name of the club (if any)
  • Name and BCA number of the group leader
  • Number of party members
  • Date of the visit
The suggested way to provide this information is to send an email with the above details to CAL, preferably before visiting the site. CAL realises that some plans to visit sites may need to be changed due to weather conditions, so post trip notification is also acceptable.

The following email address can be used for permits, site access and trip reports:

It would also be helpful if groups could email a short report about their trip with feedback on any issues or interesting finds. In particular if you spot any safety issues please let CAL know so we can investigate and update documentation. We need to demonstrate to the landowners that the agreement is working and people are making use of it. It is hoped to extend the agreements to include other mines and sites of interest, but this will only happen if we have the statistics to demonstrate usage.

Unless otherwise stated content and images © Cave Access Limited 2015-2021